Monday, November 14, 2005

Travel Guide Part III: No Pedestrian Right of Way!

This one is particularly significant for me. You have to look both ways whenever crossing a street in Europe, even when in crosswalks. Drivers there are crazy, do not recognize any kind of pedestrian right of way and will not slow down for you. It is your job to get out of the way for your own safety. Many of the streets are narrow, so that makes the cars all the more dangerous. I have been on the sidewalk many times, and still have had buses honk at me because they are so close to the curb that their mirrors would have hit me, even though I was "safely" on the sidewalk. Just pay attention, especially on busy streets and when crossing streets.
Another thing that will get you is mopeds going the wrong way on one way streets, or else driving on the sidewalks. This is technically illegal (I think), but everyone still does it and it seems to never be enforced. Always be on the lookout for those things.
I have no idea how many times I’ve been honked at or almost hit by a car in the streets of Florence, even while paying attention to what I was doing. The drivers are crazy and, while they know what they are doing (for the most part) they still have their fair share of close calls. On a similar note- jaywalking is technically illegal, but not enforced, so you don’t have to find a cross walk, but it is usually a good idea for your safety- although the crosswalks are not all together safe themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home